hipster beard

Hipster Beards Dirtier Than Toilets?

C’mon, Man!!!

What the follicle is this crap?! https://www.lebonbon.co.uk/lifestyle/not-sexy-hipster-beards-dirtier-toilets/

Number one reason you don’t need to listen to this: The site is called Le BonBon.  Pretty sure there aren’t too many beard experts on staff.

Number two reason: They didn’t even link to the “study” they cited as basis for the article.  About 1.5 seconds of Google searching turned up this article from the Daily Mail (a scientific powerhouse).  Again, no “study” linked.  Just some speculation from some beard-hatin’ lady.  If you can manage not to TL;DR this stuff, you’ll see the article ends with an actual expert on bacteria saying beards contain the same bacteria as you have on your skin.

Article one of anecdotal evidence that beards aren’t germ-harboring sick makers: I’ve had a beard for over a decade.  I work in a public school with kids sneezing and hacking germs all over the place.  I get maybe two colds per winter that last a few days each.

Article two of anecdotal evidence: My wife rarely gets sick either.  Apparently kissing a bearded man (on a daily basis even) will not make you curl up in the fetal position on the couch with body aches, a fever, and the need to watch 90’s coming-of-age movies.

Could those articles just be lame attempts to use the current popularity of beards to drive some traffic to their site via shocking gross-out tactics and gratuitous photos of sexy-as-hell bearded men?

Naaaaaaaaahhhhh…

And here’s the real reason why beard bacteria is a non-issue.  You’re almost all bacteria anyway!  That’s right.  Only about 10% of the cells in your body are actual human cells.  The other 90% are bacteria, my friend.  Oh, I’m making this up?  How about this article from an actual science-y source.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-humans-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones/

Let the beard haters hate.  Me and all my bacterial crew are gonna keep our hairy chins up.


One comment

  1. I completely concur. The Daily Mail is nothing but a pitiful rag filled with the direst fear-mongering and shameless tripe. A man’s beard is his haven and is by default considered to be the cleanest of places on his person.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *